Monday, November 5, 2012

Election Week

Well, I'm settled in a bit now, and feeling like I have a routine down here in Arlington. While Hindi isn't getting any easier, I have now learned the alphabet and sounds, so it's nice to be able to build on that and feel like I'm actually learning some useful stuff. After three weeks of class, we had a reception where they reminded us that in three weeks, we'd spend as much time studying as we would have in two semesters' worth of college classes (based on contact hours). That helped put things into perspective, and made me feel justified in feeling a little overwhelmed.

Last week we had three days' worth of classes cancelled due to the storm that came through and knocked power out. My apartment wasn't at all affected, so it was a nice time to catch up on sleep and studying. I've continued to have a lot of trouble with food intolerances and am still trying to figure out what the problem is. As a result, I feel very fatigued most of the time. I'm able to keep up with classes, but I don't do a whole lot else outside of that. I'm hoping that over the next few months I'll be able to get a handle on it, so that by the time I leave for Fiji I know better how to manage it. Right now I'm on an impossible "avoid starch, lactose, fructose" diet in addition to the gluten and sugar I was leaving out before I saw the doctor. When I'm completely able to follow it I do feel a bit better, though I have a lot of trouble eating exactly according to those guidelines.

I am looking forward to Joanna and Alex arriving next Thursday so we can go to Dan and Beth's wedding together. I am so excited to see Joanna (for the first time as a pregnant lady!) and Alex, who will stay through Thanksgiving. I've also been working on a couple of viola pieces for the wedding. It'll be nice to see Dad and Tammy and the other family at the wedding too.

One highlight this past week was receiving a bunch of framed prints of Alex's in the mail in preparation for my move to Fiji. I'm shopping little by little for household items that I'll need in Fiji. I sold and gave away a lot of stuff before leaving Caracas, and I'm replacing that in addition to stocking up on a lot of things I'll shop to Fiji when I go. It is a "consumables post," meaning that I am allowed a lot of pounds (like 2,500) to ship consumables goods to Fiji because the items available there aren't comparable to the ones we're used to here. Recommendations include toilet paper, kleenex, toiletries, coffee, etc. So far I'm starting to stock up on the non-perishables.

After seeing my Venezuelan friends vote with something like an 86% participation rate, I made sure to get my absentee ballot early and voted last week. The DC area is buzzing with election ads, debates, etc.

I'm still trying to adjust to my first winter since 2009, and now commuting without a car! Here's a picture of the pretty sunset off my balcony tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment