Wow, this past week was the longest 3-day week I think I've ever worked! The NIV consular workday usually goes 8-5, and we're usually "on the line" from approximately 8:15-3:30 or 4:00 with a lunch break at 12 or 1. When we're on the line, we are not at our desks, but at the interview window, interviewing non-immigrant visa applicants one after another.
The Wednesday we returned from vacation, we started the day with a staff meeting, not allowing us to even sit down at our desks at all before getting on the line. For whatever reason, our interviews lasted clear up until after 5:00, when I had to race up to catch my shuttle home. Thursday was also completely full, and ended with hurrying to finish the last interview in time to run up to the shuttle. Friday we had a little respite, finishing by 4:30 and having a few minutes to try to catch up on the important e-mails from the rest of the week.
During the course of the business of the week, I did get the great news that I should be able to move into my new apartment next week, hopefully on Wednesday. My household effects have arrived in Venezuela, but I will most likely still have to wait a few weeks before they're allowed into the country. As our move-out dates from the hotel draw near, we decided we needed to try the 5-star restaurant here before moving out. So, Friday night we changed out of our casual Friday duds and put on our jacket-only attire, and had a truly gourmet meal.
One of my new friends and coworkers had a birthday yesterday, the same day as her boss, so they had a joint birthday party at his house, with a bunch of people from the embassy and the international expat community. Several of our soccer playing friends were there. It was a lot of fun to get together away from the work environment. I'm looking forward to church this afternoon, as I missed last week, being in PR.
Gracias por el update! Que bueno que ya casi vas a vivir en tu casa!!! y si, pobresita, tenias que perder la iglesia por culpa de un viaje a PR ;(
ReplyDelete