After three days at work, it felt like an entire week! I'm glad to have a weekend so soon. I was skyping with Joanna last night, and we couldn't believe it had been less than a week since we saw each other. A group of veteran ELOs (entry level officers) introduced a group of us newer ones to their favorite market today, where produce is actually of good quality (unlike the grocery stores) and prices are reasonable. We didn't buy a whole lot since we're still in a hotel, but it'll be a great place to shop once we're settled in.
Debbie asked some good clarifying questions after my last post that I will now answer :) Anytime someone checks out at any store or pays at a restaurant they have to give their cédula number, which I guess is comparable to an government ID. At some places (like my hotel) where they know a lot of foreigners are staying they don´t require it. Otherwise, I can either tell them I don't have one or else give them my passport number. Some people care more than others. Once I get my accreditation, and officially become recognized by the government here, I can give that number instead.
When I first arrived, I felt like I didn't know the language, since the accent and a lot of vocabulary is very different than the Mexican Spanish I'm most used to. I'm starting to get a little more accustomed to it, and I'm sure that once I start interviewing at the visa window I'll get used to it very quickly. It's comforting to hear other good Spanish speakers say that the Spanish here is very unique.
My sponsor is someone who's been here for over a year and a half in the same position I'm starting now. She corresponded with me before arriving and answered a bunch of questions for me as I tried to prepare for coming. She's the one who is helping me get money that I can use here and who is helping me get rides and other things I need before I have all my own things here. She's been very helpful and generous with everything.
I'd read a lot about the very high cost and low availability of different consumable items as I prepared to go, so I've been pleasantly surprised at the availability and cost of things like toiletries and food. I even found almond milk and gluten-free cereal. It will be nice to set up my home once I get one!
I'm enjoying the availability of internet, cable, and a workout room in the hotel AND the abundance of sugar-free chocolate that tastes great :) It's been nice to be able to stay in touch with family and Wayne through skype so far, and by e-mail, this blog, and facebook with everyone.
OK, you've got internet and are skying, a great sponsor who is watching over you,access to a good market and good CHOCOLATE. I'm going to stop worrying so much about you :). I will soon invest in a webcam so maybe we could skype one day--once I learn how. I wonder how Venezuelan people feel about giving their number every time the purchase something. It seems a bit intrusive. In a few minutes we are going to meet your parents for dinner at a Mexican restaurant. Know that we keep you and your family constantly in our prayers.
ReplyDelete