Monday, July 12, 2010

catching up


I haven't been good a staying on top of my blog this week!

During the day on Friday, I had a gap in my course schedule enough to make it over to Main State (which is what the DoS main building downtown is called). They take passport pictures there for free. I got those and applied for my diplomatic passport. They're going to expedite it for me so I can apply for my visa as soon as possible. Hopefully, it'll be ready by Wednesday.

On Friday evening I had a really nice time having dinner and catching up with some relatives: my mom's cousin Sharon has lived here for a long time, and we've been in touch by e-mail. Her parents were in town visiting, so we, along with Sharon's daugher, got together at the Doubletree hotel near my apartment, which has a rotating restaurant at the top. It gives a great view of the city. It was a really nice time of getting reacquainted. Hopefully we'll find a time to get together again before I leave, and when the rest of Sharon's family is in town.

On Saturday I slept in and barely woke up in time to get to boxing class. It was pretty fun, though a good hard workout. I watched a Venezuelan movie last night all about the infamous Express Kidnappings that they're so famous for, which was pretty eye-opening and a bit disturbing. It was also some good information to learn about why they happen and the huge disparities in the distribution of wealth there.

There's a recent university graduate from Spain here for a few weeks to improve her English, staying with a family at my church, so several of us are going to go out to watch the Spain/Netherlands game this afternoon.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a busy week! I just watched the end of the World Cup game before reading this post. I bet your friend from Spain was quite excited! We're praying that all your official paperwork zooms through the process! Keep us updated as you hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your prayers! Yes--the game was quite exciting. I don't think I've ever sat through and watched a whole soccer game on TV, but this was pretty fun. Mariola was very animated and finally very happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watched the game too, but sadly I fell asleep during the time of the goal. Oh well, it was fun to see the replays. Hope you have a good week coming up!

    ReplyDelete