Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Post A-100

Hi all! Just an update on what I've been doing since graduating last Friday.

First, though, one last thing from Friday. I met up with two ladies over at the Main State building who I got connected with by a friend of Aunt Naomi's, who's been in the department for several years. They're both Christians and in Washington assignments this round, so we were able to meet in the main cafeteria for lunch. It was nice to talk to some new people for a change, but also people with whom I have more in common.

On Sunday afternoon, one of the girls in my class had organized a self-defense class for women. I didn't have much of an idea of what to expect, but it was pretty practical practice of what to do if you get physically attacked. It took place at a boxing studio. I really enjoyed it, so much that I am interested in looking for some lessons somewhere nearby for the next few weeks. The place we went was about 20 miles out of town.

Yesterday and today are down as admin days for me. I spent a good deal of the day yesterday reading up about Caracas and reading the post reports to figure out how best to be preparing. We're allowed 2.500 lbs of consumables to ship over. In reading the post reports, it sounds like the country goes through shortages of different foods and household goods at different times. When products are available, they are really expensive. So I started out by ordering some of my "can't live without" cooking items, vitamins, toiletries, etc. online. I guess my apartment will slowly fill up over the next several weeks!

Tomorrow I will start general consular training, which has a lighter schedule (9-4) to accommodate the need to be working on other things at home. Looking forward to it!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! You get to do 2 years of shopping in 6 weeks! XXOOXX

    ReplyDelete