A-100 is the nickname of the orientation class, originally named for the classroom it was first held in. Several classrooms later, the name has stuck around. Interestingly, class sizes used to be a lot smaller (like maybe 30 people on average) and less frequent (maybe 1-2 times per year). I'm in a class of 95 (in a room designed to comfortably seat 50) and there are approximately 7-8 classes this year.
We've been learning quite a bit about the development and role of the Foreign Service throughout history. Unfortunately, I am one of the less-informed people in the class when it comes to history and the role of the department, so today (three history modules) seemed really long to me. In general, I'll be glad to finish A-100 and move on into smaller classes and also know where I'm headed.
Yesterday there was a reception hosted for the class members in the consular track, which number approx. 20. It was nice to be separated into the smaller group and get to know some of my colleagues better. We had to take the Meyers-Briggs type indicator test yesterday, and I feel constantly reminded that I am an introvert! For me that's probably one of the harder parts of these first 5 weeks.
Tomorrow I have a break from regular programming and will be meeting with my CDO (career development officer). She's one of 6 assigned to our class who will be matching each of my and my classmates to the positions on our bid lists. I'm looking forward to meeting with her and having the chance to gain a better understanding of the best way to bid, plus some personal insight from her on life in the foreign service.
On Friday my air shipment is supposed to arrive (finally!). I am anxious to get the rest of my clothes and some of the household goods I packed, including my viola and violin some coffee mugs, a few games, and I can't remember what else. I hope you're all doing well!
No comments:
Post a Comment