Today I slept in a bit and then started working on some details that I needed to take care of before starting work. I was delighted to find that the nearest Target, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's are each less than 4 miles from my apartment. I stocked up on what I needed from each one. Thanks to the Mattis Ave. choir my entire purchase at Target was covered! There's a pharmacy located in the shopping center that's connected to my building and a metro stop too, so I really have it made.
I got a couple of maps of the city and got a little better idea of where I'm located in the larger scheme of things. Tomorrow we have to go to the Main State Department building near Foggy Bottom. Starting Tuesday, we'll be at the Foreign Service Institute each day. So today I did a dry run to Main State, just to make sure I could do it (it was really easy). Luckily, my location is one of two or three that has a shuttle directly to FSI, so starting tomorrow I just have to be in the lobby by 7:05 in order to get a ride.
This evening, I went to a welcome reception for the incoming class. We are referred to as the 153rd, and members of the 151st were there to welcome us and answer some questions for us. I met several people who will be starting with me tomorrow, as well as a few members of the 151st, who offered some helpful advice. I'm feeling pretty ready to get started with all this tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment