Sunday, May 23, 2010

Week two down!

The second week has come and gone. Thursday was a nice change of pace. I didn't have class, but just met with my Career Development Officer (CDO). The CDOs each get to know the portion of the class that corresponds to them, then together they work to assign everyone as best as they can to positions in a way that best meets the needs of the department and also takes into consideration the preferences of each employee.

Yesterday we were divided into smaller groups, and learned about the different types of leave we earn and, different requirements for tenure and promotions, and how to join the senior foreign service before we retire in 30-some years. We had more Public Diplomacy training and then a module on professionalism (which basically spelled out the levels of disciplinary action in the department).

When I got home last night, I was pleased to see that my air baggage had in fact been delivered! I now have my viola and violin, a few games, all my shoes (yay!), most of my clothes, and some useful office supplies. It'll be nice to get these things all settled in and to feel a little more homey. It's been nice to hear from many of you and get your cards and facebook notes :) I hope you're all doing well!

2 comments: